Sunday, November 5, 2017

Boswell’s Life of Johnson: 192


Edited by Dan Leo, LL.D., Assistant Professor of 18th Century British “Bro” Culture, Olney Community College; author of Bozzie and Dr. Sam: A Sheep-Stealer in the Regiment, the Olney Community College Press.

Art direction by rhoda penmarq (layout, pencils, inks, egg tempera by eddie el greco; lettering by roy dismas) for the penmarqaroq™ studios.

to begin at the beginning, click here

for previous chapter, click here






Mr. Langton has been pleased, at my request, to favour me with some particulars of Dr. Johnson's visit to Warley-camp, where this gentleman was at the time stationed as a Captain in the Lincolnshire militia. I shall give them in his own words in a letter to me.

'It was in the summer of the year 1778, that he complied with my invitation to come down to the Camp at Warley, and he staid with me about a week; the scene appeared, notwithstanding a great degree of ill health that he seemed to labour under, to interest and amuse him, as agreeing with the disposition that I believe you know he constantly manifested towards enquiring into subjects of the military kind.


He sat, with a patient degree of attention, to observe the proceedings of a regimental court-martial, that happened to be called, in the time of his stay with us; and one night, as late as at eleven o'clock, he accompanied the Major of the regiment in going what are styled the Rounds, where he might observe the forms of visiting the guards, for the seeing that they and their sentries are ready in their duty on their several posts. He took occasion to converse at times on military topicks, one in particular, that I see the mention of, in your Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides, which lies open before me, as to gun-powder; which he spoke of to the same effect, in part, that you relate.


'On one occasion, when the regiment were going through their exercise, he went quite close to the men at one of the extremities of it, and watched all their practices attentively; and, when he came away, his remark was, 

"The men indeed do load their muskets and fire with wonderful celerity." 

He was likewise particular in requiring to know what was the weight of the musquet balls in use, and within what distance they might be expected to take effect when fired off.


'In walking among the tents, and observing the difference between those of the officers and private men, he said that the superiority of accommodation of the better conditions of life, to that of the inferiour ones, was never exhibited to him in so distinct a view. The civilities paid to him in the camp were, from the gentlemen of the Lincolnshire regiment, one of the officers of which accommodated him with a tent in which he slept; and from General Hall, who very courteously invited him to dine with him, where he appeared to be very well pleased with his entertainment, and the civilities he received on the part of the General; the attention likewise, of the General's aid-de-camp, Captain Smith, seemed to be very welcome to him, as appeared by their engaging in a great deal of discourse together. The gentlemen of the East York regiment likewise on being informed of his coming, solicited his company at dinner, but by that time he had fixed his departure, so that he could not comply with the invitation.'


'To JAMES BOSWELL, ESQ.

'DEAR SIR, 

'I have received two letters from you, of which the second complains of the neglect shewn to the first. You must not tye your friends to such punctual correspondence. You have all possible assurances of my affection and esteem; and there ought to be no need of reiterated professions. When it may happen that I can give you either counsel or comfort, I hope it will never happen to me that I should neglect you; but you must not think me criminal or cold if I say nothing when I have nothing to say.


'You are now happy enough. Mrs. Boswell is recovered; and I congratulate you upon the probability of her long life. If general approbation will add anything to your enjoyment, I can tell you that I have heard you mentioned as a man whom everybody likes. I think life has little more to give.

'I wish you would a little correct or restrain your imagination, and imagine that happiness, such as life admits, may be had at other places as well as London. Without asserting Stoicism, it may be said, that it is our business to exempt ourselves as much as we can from the power of external things. There is but one solid basis of happiness; and that is, the reasonable hope of a happy futurity. This may be had every where.


'I do not blame your preference of London to other places, for it is really to be preferred, if the choice is free; but few have the choice of their place, or their manner of life; and mere pleasure ought not to be the prime motive of action.

'Mrs. Thrale, poor thing, has a daughter. Mr. Thrale dislikes the times, like the rest of us. Mrs. Williams is sick; Mrs. Desmoulins is poor. I have miserable nights. Nobody is well but Mr. Levett. 

'I am, dear Sir, Your most, &c.

'SAM. JOHNSON.' 

'London, July 3, 1778.'


In the course of this year there was a difference between him and his friend Mr. Strahan; the particulars of which it is unnecessary to relate. Their reconciliation was communicated to me in a letter from Mr. Strahan, in the following words:— 

'The notes I shewed you that passed between him and me were dated in March last. The matter lay dormant till July 27, when he wrote to me as follows: 

"To William Strahan, Esq. 

"Sir, 


"It would be very foolish for us to continue strangers any longer. You can never by persistency make wrong right. If I resented too acrimoniously, I resented only to yourself. Nobody ever saw or heard what I wrote. You saw that my anger was over, for in a day or two I came to your house. I have given you longer time; and I hope you have made so good use of it, as to be no longer on evil terms with, Sir, 

"Your, &c. 

"Sam. Johnson."

'On this I called upon him; and he has since dined with me.' 

After this time, the same friendship as formerly continued between Dr. Johnson and Mr. Strahan.


'To CAPTAIN LANGTON, WARLEY-CAMP.

'DEAR SIR, 

'When I recollect how long ago I was received with so much kindness at Warley Common, I am ashamed that I have not made some enquiries after my friends. 

'Pray how many sheep-stealers did you convict? and how did you punish them? When are you to be cantoned in better habitations? The air grows cold, and the ground damp. Longer stay in the camp cannot be without much danger to the health of the common men, if even the officers can escape. 


'The session of the CLUB is to commence with that of the Parliament. Mr. Banks desires to be admitted; he will be a very honourable accession. 

'Did the King please you? The Coxheath men, I think, have some reason to complain: Reynolds says your camp is better than theirs. 

'I hope you find yourself able to encounter this weather. Take care of your own health; and, as you can, of your men. Be pleased to make my compliments to all the gentlemen whose notice I have had, and whose kindness I have experienced. 

'I am, dear Sir, 

'Your most humble servant, 

'Sam. Johnson.' 

'October 31, 1778.'

 


(classix comix™ is underwritten in part through a continuing grant from the Bob’s Bowery Bar Foundation for the Propagation of Literary and Artistic Culture: “Had a hard day at the office, factory or road gang, but still not quite ready to face the grim loneliness of your tiny tenement flat? Why not make a stop at Bob’s Bowery Bar and refresh your spirits with an imperial pint of Bob’s famous basement-brewed house bock – half-price between the hours of 4pm to 7pm, Monday through Friday – and rather than opening up a can of baked beans at home, avail yourself of the rotating delicacies at our free Happy Hour Buffet, including such treats as pickled trotters, beef-tongue sliders, scrapple panini, and Uneeda crackers ‘n’ Limburger!”

– Horace P. Sternwall, host and narrator of Bob’s Bowery Bar Presents Philip Morris Commander’s “Blanche Weinberg: Lady Psychiatrist”, broadcast live Sundays at 8pm {EST} exclusively on the Dumont Television Network. This week’s play: Dr. Blanche Solves a Murder, by Hildegard Pope-Sneedly, starring Kitty Carlisle as “Dr. Blanche”, with special guest star Thomas Mitchell as “Detective O’Riordan”.) 



part 193


No comments:

Post a Comment