Sunday, July 21, 2019

Boswell’s Life of Johnson: 269


Edited by Dan Leo, Assistant Professor of Basic Remedial English Writing Skills, Olney Community College; author of Bozzie and Dr. Sam: The Ship to Italy Has Sailed, the Olney Community College Press.

Artwork direction by rhoda penmarq (layout, pencils, inks, cybernetically-produced colorization by eddie el greco; lettering by roy dismas); a penmarqreative™ production.  <

to begin at the beginning, click here

for previous chapter, click here






Having left the pious negotiation {i.e., the plans of Dr. Johnson’s friends to send him to Italy for the coming winter – Editor}, as I called it, in the best hands, I shall here insert what relates to it. Johnson wrote to Sir Joshua Reynolds on July 6, as follows:—

'I am going, I hope, in a few days, to try the air of Derbyshire, but hope to see you before I go. Let me, however, mention to you what I have much at heart. If the Chancellor should continue his attention to Mr. Boswell's request, and confer with you on the means of relieving my languid state, I am very desirous to avoid the appearance of asking money upon false pretences.


I desire you to represent to his Lordship, what, as soon as it is suggested, he will perceive to be reasonable,— That, if I grow much worse, I shall be afraid to leave my physicians, to suffer the inconveniences of travel, and pine in the solitude of a foreign country; That, if I grow much better, of which indeed there is now little appearance, I shall not wish to leave my friends and my domestick comforts; for I do not travel for pleasure or curiosity; yet if I should recover, curiosity would revive. In my present state, I am desirous to make a struggle for a little longer life, and hope to obtain some help from a softer climate. Do for me what you can.'

He wrote to me July 26:— 

'I wish your affairs could have permitted a longer and continued exertion of your zeal and kindness. They that have your kindness may want your ardour. In the mean time I am very feeble and very dejected.'


By a letter from Sir Joshua Reynolds I was informed, that the Lord Chancellor had called on him, and acquainted him that the application had not been successful; but that his Lordship, after speaking highly in praise of Johnson, as a man who was an honour to his country, desired Sir Joshua to let him know, that on granting a mortgage of his pension, he should draw on his Lordship to the amount of five or six hundred pounds; and that his Lordship explained the meaning of the mortgage to be, that he wished the business to be conducted in such a manner, that Dr. Johnson should appear to be under the least possible obligation. Sir Joshua mentioned, that he had by the same post communicated all this to Dr. Johnson.


How Johnson was affected upon the occasion will appear from what he wrote to Sir Joshua Reynolds:—

'Ashbourne, Sept. 9. Many words I hope are not necessary between you and me, to convince you what gratitude is excited in my heart by the Chancellor's liberality, and your kind offices....I have enclosed a letter to the Chancellor, which, when you have read it, you will be pleased to seal with a head, or any other general seal, and convey it to him: had I sent it directly to him, I should have seemed to overlook the favour of your intervention.'


'To THE LORD HIGH CHANCELLOR. 

MY LORD, After a long and not inattentive observation of mankind, the generosity of your Lordship's offer raises in me not less wonder than gratitude. Bounty, so liberally bestowed, I should gladly receive, if my condition made it necessary; for, to such a mind, who would not be proud to own his obligations? But it has pleased GOD to restore me to so great a measure of health, that if I should now appropriate so much of a fortune destined to do good, I could not escape from myself the charge of advancing a false claim.


My journey to the continent, though I once thought it necessary, was never much encouraged by my physicians; and I was very desirous that your Lordship should be told of it by Sir Joshua Reynolds, as an event very uncertain; for if I grew much better, I should not be willing, if much worse, not able, to migrate. Your Lordship was first solicited without my knowledge; but, when I was told that you were pleased to honour me with your patronage, I did not expect to hear of a refusal; yet, as I have had no long time to brood hope, and have not rioted in imaginary opulence, this cold reception has been scarce a disappointment; and, from your Lordship's kindness, I have received a benefit, which only men like you are able to bestow. I shall now live mihi carior {“dearer to me” – Editor}, with a higher opinion of my own merit.         

'I am, my Lord,     

           Your Lordship's most obliged,                     

Most grateful, and                           

Most humble servant,                                             

SAM. JOHNSON.' 
'September, 1784.'


Upon this unexpected failure I abstain from presuming to make any remarks, or to offer any conjectures.

Having after repeated reasonings, brought Dr. Johnson to agree to my removing to London, and even to furnish me with arguments in favour of what he had opposed; I wrote to him requesting he would write them for me; he was so good as to comply, and I shall extract that part of his letter to me of June 11, as a proof how well he could exhibit a cautious yet encouraging view of it:—


'I remember, and intreat you to remember, that virtus est vitium fugere {“Even in our flight from vice some virtue lies.” – Editor}; the first approach to riches is security from poverty. The condition on which you have my consent to settle in London is, that your expence never exceeds your annual income. Fixing this basis of security, you cannot be hurt, and you may be very much advanced. The loss of your Scottish business, which is all that you can lose, is not to be reckoned as any equivalent to the hopes and possibilities that open here upon you.


If you succeed, the question of prudence is at an end; every body will think that done right which ends happily; and though your expectations, of which I would not advise you to talk too much, should not be totally answered, you can hardly fail to get friends who will do for you all that your present situation allows you to hope; and if, after a few years, you should return to Scotland, you will return with a mind supplied by various conversation, and many opportunities of enquiry, with much knowledge, and materials for reflection and instruction.'


Let us now contemplate Johnson thirty years after the death of his wife, still retaining for her all the tenderness of affection. 

'TO THE REVEREND MR. BAGSHAW, AT BROMLEY. 

'SIR, 

'Perhaps you may remember, that in the year 1753, you committed to the ground my dear wife. I now entreat your permission to lay a stone upon her; and have sent the inscription, that, if you find it proper, you may signify your allowance.

'You will do me a great favour by showing the place where she lies, that the stone may protect her remains.


'Mr. Ryland will wait on you for the inscription, and procure it to be engraved. You will easily believe that I shrink from this mournful office. When it is done, if I have strength remaining, I will visit Bromley once again, and pay you part of the respect to which you have a right from, Reverend Sir,

'Your most humble servant, 

'SAM. JOHNSON.' 

'July 12, 1784.'


(classix comix™ is brought to you by Bob’s Bowery Bar, conveniently located at the northwest corner of Bleecker and the Bowery: “Gee, as the song goes, ‘We’re having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave’, and old folks and even some of the less hardy of the younger set are collapsing in the streets. Well, leave it to our friends at Bob’s Bowery Bar not just to complain about the weather, but to do something about it, to wit, until further notice Bob’s Bowery Bar will be a designated ‘cooling center’, and anyone who needs some relief from the heat is invited to stop in and enjoy our newly-repaired central air-conditioning for as long as you like, under absolutely no obligation to buy anything, and you will be given unlimited glasses of tap water, free, gratis and for nothing.

All we ask is that if the bar and tables fill up with paying customers you go and sit on wooden crates that have been set up near the walls, being careful not to block the entrance or to get in the waitress’s way.” – Horace P. Sternwall, host and narrator of Bob’s Bowery Bar Presents Philip Morris Commander’s “Blanche Weinberg, Lady Psychiatrist”, broadcast live 8pm Sundays {EST} exclusively on the Dumont Television Network. This week’s presentation: “Even Crazier from the Heat”, by Hapgood P. Simpleton, starring Kitty Carlisle as “Dr. Blanche”, with special guest star Bob Hope.) 

 



part 270




No comments:

Post a Comment